Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Harpo Marx's Harp II

 


Our mission was finally done. After years of research, millions of miles traveled, and a worldwide pandemic, we finally found that with which we had been searching for, the harp of Harpo Marx.

The saga started about seven years ago. I was looking into something or other online when I fell into a rabbit hole. One of the tings I learned in that hole was that when Harpo passed away he donated a harp to the newly founded State of Israel, with the condition that it would be used and not end up in some museum. I knew then that I must find the harp. 

My research pointed me to Jerusalem, the city associated with the most famous harpist of all time, King David. With the help of my Brother-in-Law we were able to find the harp. This was six years ago, I wrote about that adventure in a short blog https://harposharp.blogspot.com/2016/01/harpos-harp.html

I thought our journey had ended but it had just begun. People not only read the blog, but commented on it. One or two of the comments corrected the fact that Harpo donated not one but two harps. I had to find the other harp. 

The evidence pointed to the harp being in Tel Aviv, more specifically at the Tel Aviv University's music school. Luckily for me my Bother-in-Law used to be a student at Tel Aviv University and had even taken classes in the music school a few years back. He was able to confirm that the harp was there and should be able to get us in to see it next time I was in Israel.

That's when the Pandemic hit and boarders closed.  At first there was no way for me to get to Israel and see the harp. Eventually, it opened a little but there were tons of hoops to jump through and the rules kept changing. Luckily for me, my mom spent her days and nights, for three months, cutting through all the red tape. She was finally able to get us into the country so we could see the harp and my sister. 

When by Brother-in-Law heard that I was coming to Israel he got in touch with his contacts to make sure that we would be able to see the harp. After some calls, emails, and WhatsApp he was able to arrange our visit. 


It was a Sunday morning (a workday in Israel) and my Brother-in-Law picked me up outside my hotel. We drove to Tel Aviv University and entered through the main entrance. We then made our way through the picturesque campus to the Music department. Once there we talked to the people in the main office. "Oh, you are the guys who want to see the harp" one woman said. We were told it was in a practice room down the hall and the Maintenance Lady would unlock the door for us. 

We walk down to the hall with all the practice rooms, each one labeled with the instrument/s inside. The last room we get to is "harps". The Maintenance Lady unlocks the door and turns on the air conditioning. In the room are three Harps with their protective covers on them, and a piano. We carefully remove the covers of all three harps, the one in the middle is the one we came to see, Harpo's harp. We admire the harp, take some pictures, and put the cover back on.  








We turn off the lights and air conditioning and call for the Maintenance Lady to lock the door. We thank her and thank the ladies in the main office. We have now seen both harps Harpo Marx donated to Israel. Unless there is another harp our journey is finally complete.



1 comment:

  1. I went to JAMD (in Jerusalem) to see the Harp the week before Rosh Hashana. I was told it was 2 floors down in a glass case with no Name on it. When I looked, it was not Harpo's harp. I told the lady upstairs "Harpo never wanted it in a glass case...he wanted it used by all to enjoy". She looked at my pictures and then the Internet pictures - and agreed with me. NOT HIS HARP. She said she would notify the Director right after Rosh Hashana vacation. When I call - all the prompts are in Hebrew and no one ever answers and phone. When I go to Israel again, I will check in Tel Aviv also. There is a rumor the one of his harps is in a private home in Florida.

    ReplyDelete